top of page

Sick Note

If you are absent from work less than 7 days, including a weekend, a Self Certification Form can be obtained from your employer. Doctor's Certificates are only required for absences of more than 7 days and cannot be issued for shorter periods. Only absences of seven days or longer require a certificate which can be obtained by the doctor.

You must give your employer a doctor's fit note’ (sometimes called a ‘sick note’) if you've been ill for more than 7 days in a row and have taken sick leave. This includes non-working days, such as weekends and bank holidays.

Complete Statutory Sick Pay (SSP): Employee's statement of sickness 

If you are self-isolating and cannot work because of coronavirus (COVID-19) you can get an ‘isolation note’ online from NHS 111.  You do not have to go to their GP or a hospital.

If you are off work with any other illness, you can get a fit note from a GP or hospital doctor. If your employer agrees, a similar document can be provided by a physiotherapist, podiatrist, or occupational therapist instead. This is called an Allied Health Professional (AHP) Health and Work Report.

Download sick note here 

bottom of page